During preparation find impact, achievements and facts about your team member. A couple of times a year talk to peers to gather this information.
You should also clearly understand the goals of the upcoming meeting. Are you going to have a regular check-up or you need to fix some conflicts and provide guidance? The 1-on-1 meetings are a good place to share information regarding team or company changes.
Some questions to include in your agenda:
- What would you like to discuss today?
- How can I help you?
- How can I help you to grow professionally?
- Are you happy? What makes you happy at work?
- What good\bad has happened since our last meeting?
- What do you like about your current work?
- What do we do wrong as a company in your opinion?
- What do we need to do as a company to be extremely successful?
- Did I ask all the questions?